| The Alliance Review
100 YEARS AGO (1920)
— As Warren G. Harding was elected president, Alliance voters were behind the Republican Ohio senator with 5,186 casting ballots in his favor. Meanwhile, 2,426 voted for his Democratic opponent James M. Cox, the governor of Ohio. In addition, 249 voted for Eugene Debs, the Socialist Party candidate.
— The Beech School in Washington Township was closed after three or four families in the district had been stricken with diphtheria and their homes quarantined.
75 YEARS AGO (1945)
— Main Street Court, a new right of way at the east end of Main Street, was officially opened. The Chase House was razed in order to create the thoroughfare.
— Frances Trott, a 10A student at Alliance High, submitted the winning entry to name a new youth center. Her suggestion of “Aviators’ Hangar” was awarded $25, a gift of the Eagles Lodge. The center was located at the former Brunner home on East Market Street and South Linden Avenue. A total of 48 entries were submitted in the contest.
— Four Mount Union College alumni — Faye Shipman Brownfield (Class of 1910), of Columbus; Wilda Matthias Peterson (1916), of Cleveland; Charles L. Riley (1919), of Canton; and H. Lawrence Brown (1921), of Ravenna — were honored by the Mount Union Alumni Council for service to the college.
50 YEARS AGO (1970)
— Vickie Budac, a resident of the 400 block of Maplewood Drive and a 1967 graduate of Alliance High, voted for the first time on her 21st birthday. The keypunch operator at Armour Industrial Products stated that she was encouraged to vote by her father, John Budac, a Romanian immigrant who was employed at Alliance Machine.
— Richard Harp, son of Sebring Mayor Joseph Harp, cast his first-ever ballot at F.A. Sebring Elementary School. A 1967 graduate of Sebring McKinley, he had turned 21 in August and was working as a desk officer for the Sebring Police Department while majoring in law enforcement at Kent State.